Friday, July 31, 2009

Thing #12

I have been a bit shy about commenting but now realize the importance of it for building and maintaining a successful blog. I read through a discussion about replying to every comment on a blog - some seem to think it might be too controlling and that it might be stifling the free flow of meaningful dialog; others disagreed. I think replying to comments (or maybe to a group of comments)regularly is essential. Making those who comment feel welcome and important to the discussion is just good blog etiquette and part of building up a following.

I liked the idea of setting rules for comments on your blog. The etiquette - common sense in many ways - sharing, discussing, debating - done in a way to promote the sharing of information. Appreciated the bit about the Darth Vaders of bloging who like to rain on every one's parade. Without some warning with my first nasty comment I might have just given up and called it quits.

Students could use blogs to find others who have similar interests and feel connected. This is a really big deal; kids want and need to be heard. I really want to get something together for our school library.

No comments:

Post a Comment